Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Our Top Picks
Best Overall: BISSELL PowerFresh Steam Mop at Amazon
“Reviewers say this steam mop is light and easy to steer.”
Best Budget: Shark Steam Pocket Mop Hard Floor Cleaner at Amazon
“Every time you push it forward, the mop automatically releases steam.”
Best Multipurpose: Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steamer at Amazon
“This versatile tool includes a “Lift-Off Pod” that you can take off the handle.“
Best for Hardwood Floors: LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Mop Cleaning Steamer at Amazon
“There’s a smart sensor that automatically releases more steam if you push it faster.”
Best for Laminate Floors: O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop at Amazon
“Heats up in just 20 seconds, and the pointed design gets into corners easily.”
Best with Vacuum: BISSELL CrossWave Floor and Carpet Cleaner at Amazon
“An all-in-one cleaning system that vacuums and washes floors.”
Best for Pets: Bissell Pet Steam Mop and Vacuum at Amazon
“The powerful vacuum picks up pet hair while its steam function sanitizes.”
- Best Overall: Bissell 1940 PowerFresh Steam Mop VERY GOOD Buy on AmazonBuy on Walmart Steam mops work by harnessing the heat power of steam to sanitize and help get off sticky messes. To use a steam mop you generally just plug it in and wipe over your floors. When choosing one for your household you can’t go wrong with the Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop, which comes from a trusted brand and boasts thousands of positive reviews. This product retails for a low price, making it a more affordable option, and it can be used on sealed hardwood, ceramic, linoleum, granite, and marble floors. The PowerFresh Steam Mop has three levels of steam, and it even comes with fragrance discs that will help make your home smell fresh, if you prefer. It kills 99.9% of germs, and it features a flip-down scrubber that allows you to make quick work of dried-on messes. Reviewers say this steam mop is light and easy to steer, and many note it’s surprisingly effective at cleaning tough messes, even dark, dirty grout lines. Overall, the Bissell PowerFresh is an effective, affordable steam mop that will be a welcome addition to your cleaning arsenal. Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop Review
- Best Multipurpose: Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steamer VERY GOOD Buy on Amazon Steam isn’t just helpful for cleaning floors! It can be used to clean numerous other areas of your home, which is why the Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steamer is a worthwhile investment. This steam mop comes with a variety of additional attachments that allow you to use it on everything from curtains to grout. This versatile tool includes a “Lift-Off Pod” that you can take off the handle, essentially transforming it into a handheld steamer. There are 13 attachments included with the machine, including a window squeegee, fabric steamer, grout tool, flat scraper, extension hose, and more. No matter what surface you use it on, the Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off will kill 99.9% of germs without the use of harsh chemicals. Many users love the versatility of this product, saying it makes cleaning quick, easy, and almost fun. Looking for more? Check out our reviews of the best steam cleaners. Bissell PowerFresh Pet Lift-Off Steam Mop Review
- Best for Tile: SharkNinja Shark Genius Hard Floor Cleaning System VERY GOOD Buy on AmazonBuy on Sharkclean.com Tile floors can get fairly dirty, especially if they’re in the bathroom or a high-traffic area. However, you can keep your tile and grout looking fresh with a tool like the Shark Genius Hard Floor Cleaning System. This steam mop features unique double-sided pads that allow you to clean further, and you’ll love the touch-free release that saves you from handling damp, dirty cleaning pads. There are several features that make the Shark Genius worth every penny. It includes a “Steam Blaster” option that you can use to target tough messes and dirty grout, and its dual-sided pads are incredibly absorbent. You never have to touch dirty cleaning pads thanks to the unique release system—simply drop them off the mop into the laundry to wash. Users write that this mop is easy to use right out of the box, and many note it cleans further than other comparable steam mops thanks to its large water tank and double-sided pads. Shark Genius Steam Pocket Mop System Review
- Best Budget: Shark Steam Pocket Mop Hard Floor Cleaner Buy on Amazon High-end steam mops can get fairly pricey, and if you want to try out the technology before making a big investment, one of the best budget options available is the Shark Steam Pocket Mop Hard Floor Cleaner. This mop has all of the basic steam mop functions—can be used on any type of sealed hard floor, and it kills 99.9% of germs and bacteria with its powerful steam. The Shark Steam Pocket Mop uses two-sided microfiber pads to lift dirt off floors which can be washed, and its steam feature heats up in just 30 seconds. Every time you push it forward, the mop automatically releases steam, banishing dirt, dust, and dried-on spills. The mop comes with a 20-foot power cord, allowing you to clean large rooms without changing outlets, and it features a soft-grip handle that makes it easy to guide around your home. Users say this tool is lightweight, compact, and easy to use, writing that it does an impressive job cleaning up tough messes, especially for such a low price. Interested in reading more reviews? Take a look at our selection of the best flat mops.
Best for Hardwood Floors: LIGHT ‘N’ EASY Mop Cleaning Steamer
Buy on Amazon
If your hardwood floors are the pride of your home, you’ll want to take good care of them to ensure they stand the test of time. You can save your wood floors from harsh chemicals by investing in a steam mop like the Light ‘N’ Easy Mop, which has a host of convenient features you’ll love. This steam mop’s water tank is located on the base, which the company claims deliver better steam penetration and temperature. There’s a smart sensor that automatically releases more steam if you push it faster, and the handle rotates 360 degrees for increased versatility. The mop has pointed corners that let you to get into tight areas, and it uses thin microfiber clothes that allow more steam to reach the floor. Users rave about how effective this steam mop is, especially on hardwood floors, writing that it creates a streak-free shine. Want to take a look at some other options? See our list for the best hardwood floor vacuums.
- Best for Laminate Floors: O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop Buy on Amazon Make your laminate floors look like new with a product like the O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop. Laminate floors have a tendency to get sticky when busy household run amok, so a steam mop is a great way to clean up nightly messes seamlessly. This affordable cleaning tool is lightweight and easy to use, and it even comes with a carpet tool that you can use to refresh other areas of your home. The O-Cedar steam mop heats up in just 20 seconds, and it has a pointed design that gets into corners easily. The microfiber pads are machine washable up to 25 times, and the adjustable steam levels will kill up to 99.9% of bacteria. Users say this tool is great, especially on laminate floors, as it leaves them immaculate and streak-free.
- Best with Vacuum: BISSELL CrossWave Floor and Carpet Cleaner with Wet-Dry Vacuum Buy on Amazon Save time cleaning by getting a steam mop and vacuum in one! The Bissell CrossWave Floor and Carpet Cleaner feature a wet-dry vacuum that allows you to pick up larger particles (think wet Cheerios and spaghetti) while you kill germs and bacteria on a variety of surfaces, win! The CrossWave is an all-in-one cleaning system that vacuums and washes floors at the same time thanks to its dual-action brush roll. It can be used on tile, sealed wood, carpet, laminate, linoleum, and more, and its two tanks separate the clean and dirty water. The CrossWave features Smart-Touch controls that let you switch between hard floors and carpets with the push of a button, and reviewers call the appliance “disgustingly amazing.” Enough said! Check out our other reviews of the best vacuums available on the market today.
- Best for Pets: Bissell Symphony Pet Steam Mop and Steam Vacuum Cleaner Buy on Amazon As much as we love our pets, there’s no denying they can make a mess of the house. If you’re looking for a tool to help make quick work of pet messes (think urine stains and such), one of your best options is the Bissell Symphony Pet Steam Mop and Steam Vacuum Cleaner. This cool cleaning machine vacuums and steams at the same time, saving you the hassle of picking up dust and pet hair before you wash the floors—now you can do it all in one fell swoop! The Symphony’s powerful vacuum picks up pet hair and debris, while its steam function sanitizes and shines your floors. It features a hands-free emptying system, so you don’t have to touch the grime you pick up, and you can even use it with disposable pads when you’re dealing with pet messes you’d rather throw away. Reviewers say this is a must-have tool for pet owners, as it makes it quicker and easier to pick up all those clumps of fur that are floating around your floors. Interested in reading more reviews? Take a look at our round-up of the best cordless stick vacuums.
Products Tested by The Spruce
How We Tested
Our reviewers spent nine hours testing three of our readers’ favorite steam mops. We asked our testers to consider the most important features when using these mops, from their reservoir capacity to their steam output. We’ve outlined the major points here so that you, too, know what to look for when shopping.
What to Look for in a Steam Mop
Reservoir capacityConsider what areas you’ll be cleaning regularly. A larger reservoir means a more cumbersome appliance, but if you have a big area to clean, you’ll spend less time refilling the tank.
Steam outputDo you have kids or pets? If so, look for a model with an adjustable steam output so you can crank up the heat when you need to tackle tough stains.
AccessoriesA basic steam mop will do for occasional cleaning jobs, but some options come with extra tools that make it easier to reach certain areas of your home. Models with special nozzles for windows, blinds, countertops, and car upholstery are more expensive but more versatile.
Test Results: Bissell 1940 PowerFresh Steam Mop (Best Overall)
VERY GOOD Buy on AmazonBuy on Walmart
What We Like
- High-capacity water tank
- Lightweight design
- Easy to fill
What We Don’t Like
- Short on additional features
- White plastic body shows wear
This steam mop was a hit with one of our testers for its simple setup, ease of use, and great performance on her sealed hardwood floors: “The mop made them sparkle,” she noted. She said that the mop left streaks while the water was drying but noted that they disappeared over time. Lastly, one of our testers felt that the included spring breeze-scented discs smelled too strongly — so if you’re sensitive to perfumes or other fragrances, you may not want to use them.
Test Results: Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steam Mop (Best Multipurpose)
VERY GOOD Buy on Amazon
What We Like
- Super versatile
- Easy to switch accessories
- Very effective
What We Don’t Like
- Difficult to fill water tank
Our testers loved how this mop could be used in so many different ways. “It is really simple to switch the accessories depending on what task you are working on,” one of our reviewers observed. Calling it “a really valuable purchase,” one of our testers particularly liked being able to use it as a handheld device. In terms of downsides, according to our reviewers, the water tank was difficult to fill and the product was a bit heavy. The takeaway: “It is on the more expensive side for a steam mop, but the versatility justifies the price,” one of our testers declared.